How to apply

The Vienna Graduate School of Economics is part of the University of Vienna and therefore you have to apply via u:space. VGSE requires additional documents to the basic application

  • Create an account in u:space.
  • Log into your u:space and go to "Studies" and then "Apply for Admission"

 Application Documents Checklist

Basic Documents for u:space upload

You can save your application and access your account anytime. Do not forget to submit the application  once it is completed.

  1. Choose "Economics/Business Administration: (Diss.Gebiet: VWL, DK: Vienna Graduate School of Economics)"
  2. Specify your supervisors.
  3. Secondary school-leaving certificate
  4. Completed degree programme
  5. Other documents and proof (words in " " correspond to the u:space drop down menu)
    • "CV"
    • "Letter of motivation" for your planned research project
    • "Description of your research" project (including research interests and methodological approach)
    • "Confirmation of Supervision" (germ. "Bereitschaftserklärung Betreuung Doktorats-/PhD KandidatIn"): upload a brief statement specifying your area of interest within VGSE and how your work corresponds to the research interests of VGSE faculty.
    • "Transcript": Diploma supplement and/or transcript of records
    • "Reading list" or syllabi (content and literature) for MSc level courses in: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and/or Econometrics
    • "GRE": upload a copy of your GRE results
    • Proof of your English skills. Use one of the following options to provide proof of your English skills:
      • Proof that English is your mother tongue
      • Previous degree in English
      • TOEFL or IELTS
      • any other equivalent certificate, not older than three years
    • "Identity Card": scan of your passport/identification card
    • "Passport Photograph"

In addition to your application on u:space send these documents directly to VGSE:

  1. GRE test result (Use the DI Code 6733, to send your test scores directly to VGSE - in addition to the u:space upload).
  2. Two recommendation letters (sent to by the referees directly)
  • All for the application process necessary documents have to be translated, if they are not issued in German or English. This translation has to be done by a court sworn translator after the documents were legalised. (more info). 
  • For questions please first consult the FAQs or contact